Eye surgery

Tuesday 27 June 2017

If you’re not too squeamish, enter “squint surgery” into a YouTube search.

I had been deliberating about whether to ask for local anaesthetic for this procedure to hopefully fix my double vision, but one look at a video was enough to convince me that general anaesthetic is definitely the way to go.

I am still a little nervous about the possible risks of general anaesthetic, but I need to get this problem fixed so that I can function normally behind the wheel and in the office.  It didn’t fill me with confidence when, at my last consultation with my eye surgeon, Mr A, I had to remind him that I suffer from Parkinson’s and that my medication may impact the choice of anaesthetic, and that he should probably discuss all this with the anaesthetist in advance.  Meddling with the delicate chemical balance in the brain is not something to be taken lightly.

Mr A told me the operation has an 80% chance of improving my eyesight.  As I head off to the hospital this morning I hope that I am not in the 20% – I don’t want to do this more than once.

Popular posts