High on dopamine

Sunday 26 March 2017

I have been taking my "artificial dopamine", pramipexole, for about five weeks now. 

The good news is that my Parkinson’s symptoms have improved greatly.  I am now able to touch type this text fluently, write properly and even my constipation has got a lot better.  I still have a bit of discomfort in my shoulder and some occasional shudders in my right arm but overall I am able to function normally.  There have been no repeats of the pre-Paris near death experience….

I am also starting to feel like I am constantly on a high.  Several times this week I woke up suddenly at 3 or 4am and was unable to get back to sleep.  But the drugs swirling around my brain, like (I imagine) ecstasy or cocaine, kept me wired through the work days.  I felt weird at work all week: alert and able to function pretty well, but slightly detached from reality: tuning in and out of conversations and off, even more so than usual, in my own world.

The dopamine highs of this week have largely caught up with me now and the weekend has been one of trying to catch up on sleep. 

A month or so after my last run, the motivation is starting to return a little and I went out for a short plod in the bright early spring sunshine.  I felt part of a community again as I passed various men and women out doing their Sunday work out.  One young woman was wearing a pink breast cancer charity T-shirt which briefly filled me with optimism.  After a couple of kilometres, I actually felt pretty good and started to get that familiar feeling of getting into a running rhythm and, dare I say it, some enjoyment at last.

When I am in the running zone I barely look at the road beneath my feet.  Through tens of thousands of miles pounding all manner of surfaces I have become subconsciously programmed to navigate different terrains, and automatically adjust for bumps, dips and other obstacles.

So I was surprised when I crossed a road and twisted my right foot on the kerb.  I squealed in pain as my ankle turned outwards and I strained various tendons.  After stopping for a few minutes to let the pain subside, I limped home.  It was not a major injury but my foot will no doubt be sore and swollen for the next week or two.

I have transitioned between road and pavement countless times on runs and never tripped like this before.  But, of course, my brain is still struggling to send the correct signals to the right-hand side of my body and I failed to re-calibrate for the sluggish movement of my right leg.

A sobering reminder that, despite my dopamine highs, I still have Parkinson’s.

Popular posts